The Teaching and Learning Project is a photographic essay that I began in 2005, while teaching a beginning photography course. I gave my students and myself an assignment: to document in photographs our lives and the lives of our peers outside the safe confines of our studio classroom. By the close of the first project year, I had established a considerable body of work on the topic of teaching and learning.
Over the years, I’ve continued to make new photographs for the Teaching and Learning Project. The images have gradually expanded to include more staff and administrators as my career broadened to the field of faculty development. These images have brought into light a vital part of campus work: collaboration. As I continue to work on this project with staff at centers for teaching and learning and their faculty colleagues, the focus of it is increasingly on that topic.
Today, my goals for the Teaching and Learning Project are to:
- produce images of the work that takes place in higher education, specifically in those areas directly related to teaching and learning.
- put these images in the hands of faculty participants and staff at centers for teaching and learning so they can better illustrate their work and values to both internal and external audiences.
- partner with teaching center staff to provide photo-based faculty consultations.
- provide training for center staff in documenting faculty work visually, so that when I leave a campus this remains a focus.
To date, I’ve worked with the following institutions toward these goals:
- In the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system: Hennepin Technical College; Central Lakes College; and Rochester Community and Technical College
- Texas Tech University
- Marquette University
- In the Penn State system: campuses of Altoona, Berks, DuBois, Harrisburg, University Park, and York
- University of Virginia
- Wayne State University
- Elon University
You can read more about the Teaching and Learning Project:
- in The NEA journal Thought and Action: http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/HE/TA2013Springborg.pdf
- in To Improve the Academy vol. 35, issue 2: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tia2.2016.35.issue-2/issuetoc (Note: this publication requires member login, but the abstract of the essay is available here: Toward a New Creative Scholarship of Educational Development: The Teaching and Learning Project and an Opening to Discourse